UMC Staff Collects 12,048 Wish List Items for Safe House
- LAS VEGAS - The University Medical Center of Southern Nevada (UMC), partnering with
Honeybaked Ham Co., held a donation drive throughout the month of June to collect wish list items for S.A.F.E House,
a community based non-profit organization committed to stopping abuse in the family environment. As a result, UMC staff
collected 12,043 items. This is the highest number of donated items from a single organization during one specific donation
drive according to S.A.F.E. House officials.
- "This donation from UMC will help S.A.F.E. House save thousands of dollars by not having to purchase these items for our
clientele," said Andrea Sundberg, community outreach manager for S.A.F.E. House. "We cant thank the community enough for
coming together and supporting our mission."
- Honeybaked Ham Co., a nation-wide franchise restaurant company providing fine quality Honeybaked spiral sliced hams,
approached UMC to help with the donation drive. S.A.F.E. House is local Honeybaked Ham Co.s charity of choice.
- "The UMC culture and employees are naturally geared to helping others. We were pleased to see just how much friendly
competition went on between the Care Centers and throughout the hospital campus to raise the over twelve thousand items,"
said Gary Yarnall, general manager for The HoneyBaked Ham Co. "Our gratitude goes out to UMC and their wonderful employees
for once again coming to the aid of our Southern Nevada residents."
- Some of the items collected were daily hygiene products, cleaning supplies, and clothing. These items were all brand new.
HoneyBaked representatives did the honors of picking up the collected items from the UMC hospital campus and satellite
locations and delivered them to S.A.F.E. House.
- "Our staffs, both at the hospital and the satellite locations, really were excited to be a part of this project," said Lynn Scott,
RN, associate administrator for UMC ambulatory services. "UMC is the communitys hospital and our staff is always willing to
pull up their sleeves and help were it is needed."
About S.A.F.E. House
- S.A.F.E. House (Stop Abuse in the Family Environment) is a nonprofit organization committed to stopping abuse in the family
environment by providing counseling, advocacy, education, crisis intervention and shelter services for abuse victims. The organization
was founded in 1994 and today S.A.F.E. House serves thousands of women, men and children throughout Clark County.
About The HoneyBaked Ham Company
- Over 50 years ago, Harry J. Hoenselaar began a special tradition when he opened his first HoneyBaked Ham Company store in
Michigan. The crowning touch was Harry's crunchy sweet glaze that crackled with good taste. He even found a way to slice the ham
into perfectly even slices. He invented and patented a unique machine that slices a ham in a single, continuous spiral. Three
generations and over 400 stores later, the Hoenselaar family still prepares The HoneyBaked Ham the same way that Harry did...
one ham at a time.
- UMC is the only public, non-profit hospital in Clark County and operates the states only Level I Trauma Center and Lions Burn
Care Center as well as several Care Centers. UMC is affiliated with the University of Nevada School of Medicine and serves as the
state's major clinical campus. Through its affiliation with the School of Medicine, residency programs in emergency medicine, internal
medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, family practice, general surgery and pediatrics are offered at UMC. Since 1931, UMC has been
providing comprehensive medical care to the community.